Monday, July 13, 2009

Bruno

This movie was SO gay... I mean that in the most derogatory, homophobic sense of the word, and literally of course. Unlike Borat, Bruno isn't very funny, rather it evokes cries of shock and horror, as well as nervous laughter. Nor is Bruno smart, clever, profound, or revealing in any way. Here's the problem: I can get behind a satire exposing racism, even if it's found in the most obvious of places, because racism is wrong (it also helped that Borat was very funny, even beyond his its social commentary). Bruno tries to reveal the blatant "homophobia" in America, and fails, not only because his tactics merit the responses they receive (even according to politically correct standards), but because of the ignorant misconceptions shared by most of modern society.

Let me explain. I believe what the Bible says about homosexuality: that it's a sin, plain and simple. People are not born that way. That is a lie promulgated by the media and supported by most Americans in an attempt to be "tolerant" in this tumultuous time we live in. Now please do not misunderstand me; I do not hate homosexuals, nor do I have any "phobia" related to homosexuality. The Bible calls for us to love all people, however, it never condones the sinful act. It actually uses pretty strong words against homosexuality, declaring it an abomination to God. Why the strong language? Because it mocks the beautiful, natural relationship that God gave us; marriage between a man and a women. The marriage is a sacred covenant between the couple and God, which also illustrates the covenant between Jesus and the Church. Homosexuals shouldn't be legally defined by their sin any more than people who practice other forms of sexual immorality, illegal drug use, or simply hatred, greed, or jealousy.

Keep in mind, I am not condoning any hateful behavior on display in Bruno, but I honestly had trouble seeing any real hate towards him until the last 5 minutes or so. I should have known better than to go see this given my personal beliefs on the matter, but I was hopeful in that it was be more comedic than it was. Instead it was quite disgusting and was merely trying to shock the audience most of the time. It also shouldn't have been rated R since it displayed an erect penis for a significant amount of time, as well as real, not simulated, sexual acts that were only barely blotted out.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir with most of the people who will actually read this, but I needed to get out what I was feeling. This film offended the very nature of what I believe, and did it with absolutely no shame. Even if you disagree with my ideology, I doubt you will find much redeeming in this movie beyond a few humorous moments. At the end of the film is song, or rather a pathetic attempt at actually tying this movie together as some message of love, acceptance, and tolerance by having lots of A-list musicians perform with Bruno. At one point Snoopdog says something like, "Gay, OK" with a shrug of his shoulders, his attitude representing the blind acceptance of this sinful act as a natural way of life by Americans everywhere, simply because they think it doesn't affect them or they just don't want a conflict. Well, sorry Snoop, but it's not OK, but I fear it's too late, because the saturation into society is deep, and the conflict is everywhere we turn. God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment